The journey of an ultra runner

Tuesday 1 April 2014

A Change





1997 was the year I started uni and a new life in Glasgow. While joining the athletics team may seem like the logical next step to progress my running that didn’t happen. I was keen to try something different so joined the karate club. Running a couple of miles too and from the club was as far as my running went. I also frequented many of Glasgow’s other clubs not so well known for their sporting prowess. (The Garage, Archaos and Trash to name a few). Late nights and excess were aplenty. Despite way too much indulgence I did gradually develop a good training discipline training most days of the week to try and counter the late nights. In my final year of uni I started running 10k once a week with some guys from my course and one of the guys decided he wanted to run Glasgow half marathon it was 2001. Having no clue I hacked together some training and made the classic mistake of too much too soon, shin splits came a calling so my training wasn’t exactly ideal but I ran 1:30 ish which seemed ok to me who was more used to jumping around in a white suit and a coloured belt around my waist. Shortly after I left Bonnie Scotland to work and travel. In the sunnier clims of Australia I started a run group at a gym I worked at and did the same when I returned to Glasgow.
After a stint working in a gym in Glasgow I got the job as the manager  Run 4 It ( a new running shop and brand new business at the time). In my interview I told them I’d ran cross country at school and ran the odd 10k and a half marathon but I hoped to do a bit more running. Joining a running club seemed like a good idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment