The journey of an ultra runner

Thursday 3 April 2014

Kenya and a poster Boy



Following the trend in 2010 I should have upped my distance again, but as things would have it this didn’t happen. As part of my physio course I had the opportunity to do an elective placement. i.e. a 4 week placement in a physio practice of my choice. I toilied with lots of different ideas but couldn’t resist a wee google search with the key words “physiotherapy, Kenya and Running”
Six months later I was on a plane to Nairobi to spend 6 weeks in Eldoret a town at 2500m altitude just down the road from the well know running mecca of Iten.
Unfortunately I was just coming back from injury when I arrived so while the training and altitude was great I really just got me back to fitness rather than giving me the boost I had hoped. The trip was certainly enlightening. Definitely not all sunshine and smiles. Working in a Kenyan hospital was a real eye opener and quite harrowing at times. Running with other Kenyans watching the sun come up over the mud tracks was a great experience I will never forget. Reading “Running with the Kenyans” last year was a good read and I think gives a good perspective as to what life as a runner in Kenya means.

My other running highlight of my time back at uni was to be called up an asked could they use a picture of me to promote the 2012 Belfast marathon. Sadly no royalties but I did get offered a free place and seeing a life size picture of me immortalised against Belfast City Hall at the Dublin marathon Expo brought a smile to my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment