The journey of an ultra runner

Sunday 6 April 2014

Scotland vs Northern Ireland: My first Scottish Vest


Later in 2011 I had a test of my loyalties. Off the back of my recent performances I was approached by Adrian Stott one of selectors of the Scottish ultra team. He informed me that I was in the running to be selected to run for Scotland but I would also be illegible to run for Northern Ireland. It was very exciting news but I had to make the decision as to what country I would like to represent.
I have always described myself as a bit of a mongrel when it come to nationality. I was born in Elgin in Scotland and lived near there until I was 3, I then moved to Belfast where I grew up and stayed until I was 18. Since the age of 18 I have lived in Scotland. My Dad was from Northern Ireland and my Mum is from Scotland and my accent is up for debate. It required some thought but untimaley it wasn’t too hard a decision to make. Most of my running career had been in Scotland, I lived in Scotland and I knew some of the Scottish team so I told Adrian it would be an honor to run for Scotland if there was a place for me on the team.
A few months later I was on the start line of the Commonwealth Championship Ultra Trail race in Angelsey in wales in my first Scottish Vest. It was a great expeience and it was great to see the other memebers of the Scottish Mountain running and 24h team do so well as well as see Lizzy Hawker break the 24hr race record running 247k.
I had a solid enough race finishing 11th overall and 2nd counter for the Scottish Team. The guys team finished 4th and the girls team finished 2nd.

No comments:

Post a Comment